Coburg is 8 miles (13 km) north of Eugene. The city's population as of the 2010 census was 1,035. Founded in 1847, Coburg has retained the characteristics of traditional small town with walkable and close ties to the surrounding farming communities that stretch in all directions. Maintaining these characteristics is the central part of the city's community vision process completed in 2017. (source: Travel Lane County and City of Coburg)
The city was originally named Diamond after John Diamond, an early pioneer in the area, on whose land claim the city was located. The city's current name comes from a stallion that was named after the Coburg district of Bavaria, Germany, from whence the horse had been imported. The Coburg Historic District was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986. The period of significance of the buildings in the district dates back to 1875. The City installed a sewer system in 2011 to 2015, leading to a new period of growth in both residential and commercial investment.